Name Change Frequently Asked Questions

How Can I Legally Change My Name?

Can I Adopt Any Name of My Choosing if I Dislike My Birth Name?

While you do have the freedom to select a new name, there are specific legal criteria that must be adhered to:

  • Your new name must not be chosen with fraudulent intentions, such as evading debts, lawsuits, or criminal liability.
  • You are prohibited from selecting a name that could infringe upon the rights of others, such as the names of celebrities, with the intent to deceive.
  • A name that is purposefully confusing, such as numerical figures, symbols, or punctuation marks, is not permissible.
  • Names that contain racial slurs or could be categorized as “fighting words”—those that are threatening, obscene, or could provoke violence—are strictly forbidden.

Is It Possible to Change My Name Under Common Law Marriage?

Anyone has the right to change their name. While most states recognize the practice of changing your name through use alone — meaning you start using the new name without formal court proceedings — not having a marriage certificate often requires obtaining a court order to have your name recognized by government agencies and many private institutions.

What Should You Do After Changing Your Name?

After deciding on a name change, through usage or court order, it’s essential to notify relevant parties. Here are practical actions to ensure your new name is recognized:

  • Inform important agencies and businesses by updating your records with the new name.
  • Share the news with friends and family, requesting that they respect and adapt to your new name.
  • Consistently use your new name in all aspects of life, including at your workplace and when meeting new people.

How Do I Change Identification and Records?

To officially complete your name change, follow these guidelines:

  • Begin by updating your driver’s license and Social Security card to reflect your new name.
  • Notify the following entities of your name change, providing necessary documentation as requested:
    • Family and friends
    • Employers
    • Educational institutions
    • Postal services
    • Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Social Security Administration
    • Vital Statistics Office
    • Financial institutions and creditors
    • Utility service providers
    • Tax authorities
    • Insurance companies
    • Voter registration offices
    • Passport services
    • Public assistance agencies
    • Veterans Administration

Update legal documents like wills, powers of attorney, or living wills with your new name to prevent confusion in the future.

Is a Court Order Necessary to Change My Name Post-Marriage or Divorce?

In cases such as adopting a spouse’s surname or reverting to a maiden name, a court order is generally not required; begin using the new name and furnish your marriage certificate or divorce decree as proof. However, selecting a completely new name will typically necessitate a court-ordered name change.

What Should I Do If I Encounter Difficulty with Name Change Acceptance?

Provide proof linking your former and current names. If persistent issues arise, educate the involved parties about the relevant state laws, escalate to higher authorities when faced with resistance, and if necessary, obtain a court order, which surely will cement your new name officially.

At The Law Office of J. Michael Clay, we are committed to guiding you through the name change process with ease. For more detailed information, personal advice, or to schedule your Free Consultation, please contact us at 210-694-5205.

Client Reviews

Mr. Clay exceeded my expectations. I was fighting for custody and child support with a bully of an ex. He was tough with the other lawyer and made sure that I was not taken advantage of. His knowledge and experience was very apparent. I highly recommend Mr. Clay to anyone needing legal aid.

K. Aleman

Absolute pro! If you need a Lawyer that truly understand law and can answer any question you present him with, Mr. Clay is your man! I am extremely happy to have him represent me! Picking a lawyer is like picking a real estate agent. So many, so it can be hard but let me tell you I am 100% happy...

P. Martinez

Mr Clay represented me during my divorce in 2011. He was absolutely incredible throughout the entire process. He is very reasonable and is hands down one of the best attorneys in San Antonio, Texas. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for an attorney!!!!!

B. Johnson

Contact Us We’re Here to Help You

Fill out the form or call us at 210-694-5205 to schedule your free consultation.

* Please refrain from divulging confidential, attorney-client protected information until The Law Office of J. Michael Clay can determine that doing so would not result in a conflict-of-interest between our firm and an existing or potential client.