Coronavirus (COVID-19) Notice. Learn More ›

Change of Name

Name Change of a Child

Many circumstances arise in which one or both parents may want to legally change a child’s name. If the name change is agreed to by the parents, the court-ordered name change can be accomplished quickly and relatively inexpensively. However, if the name change is not agreed to by the parties, a contested court hearing may be necessary to resolve the issue.

If the child whose name is sought to be changed is 10 years of age or older, the child’s written consent to the name change must be included in the original petition. Of the child consents to the name change, it is highly likely the Court will grant the name change, even if one parent objects to the change.

Name Change of an Adult

An adult may change his name in Texas for virtually any reason, unless the Court finds for some reason that the requested change is not in the public interest. The petition must include a fingerprint card acceptable to the the Department of Public Safety and to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

If the person seeking a name change has final felony conviction, the Court may (but is not required to) grant the name change ONLY if:

(1) the person seeking the name change (1) has received a certificate of discharge by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice or completed a period of community supervision or juvenile probation ordered by a court AND not less than two years have passed from the date of the receipt of discharge or completion of community supervision or juvenile probation; OR

(2) been pardoned.

If the person seeking the name change is subject to the registration requirements of Chapter 62, Code of Criminal Procedure (i.e., sex offenders), in addition to meeting the requirements set out above, the person seeking the name change must also provide the Court with proof that the person has notified the appropriate local law enforcement authority of the proposed name change.

Client Reviews
Mr. Clay exceeded my expectations. I was fighting for custody and child support with a bully of an ex. He was tough with the other lawyer and made sure that I was not taken advantage of. His knowledge and experience was very apparent. I highly recommend Mr. Clay to anyone needing legal aid. K. Aleman
Absolute pro! If you need a Lawyer that truly understand law and can answer any question you present him with, Mr. Clay is your man! I am extremely happy to have him represent me! Picking a lawyer is like picking a real estate agent. So many, so it can be hard but let me tell you I am 100% happy that I picked him and I will forever use him in the future and recommended him to anyone in the San Antonio area that is looking for legal representation. P. Martinez
Mr Clay represented me during my divorce in 2011. He was absolutely incredible throughout the entire process. He is very reasonable and is hands down one of the best attorneys in San Antonio, Texas. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for an attorney!!!!! B. Johnson
Contact Us Free Consultation
J. Michael Clay 210-694-5205